At Outwood Grange Academy we have embraced the Personalising Learning agenda and feel very strongly that curriculum design and redesign has a major part to play in the meeting of students’ needs. We have tried to provide opportunities for ‘assessment when ready’ and choice, flexibility and progression are key elements of our curriculum offer. We see the curriculum as the building blocks on which good teaching and learning can take place.
Ofsted (January 2012) said of Outwood Grange Curriculum :
“Academy leaders provide an outstanding curriculum in Key Stages, 3, 4 and 5. It is broad and flexible enough to enable the vast majority of students to select courses which, with the effective guidance they receive, helps them to meet their academic and vocational aspirations. The large majority of students who returned an inspection questionnaire feel that the academy prepares them well for their future. There is an extensive range of extra-curricular enrichment activities on offer which enables students to extend their skills in academic, cultural and sporting pursuits. The curriculum as a whole makes a strong contribution to students’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development.”
• Broad range of subjects: English, Maths, Science, Design & Technology, Languages (French, German, Spanish), Drama, Dance, Life Skills, Deep Learning, Geography, History, Music, Religious Studies, Art, ICT, PE.
• Students graduate into KS4 at the end of Year 8 provided that their effort has been satisfactory during KS3.
• All students graduating from Year 8 are encouraged to take part in the Outward Bound residential which takes place at end of Year 8.
• Each week has 25 periods.
• Year 9 – 16 periods per week for core subjects and 3 periods per option subject (students choose 3 options)
• Year 10 – 13 periods per week for core subjects and 4 periods per option subject (students choose 3 options)
• Year 11 – 16 periods per week for core subjects and 3 periods per option subject (students choose 3 options)
• Core subjects: English, Maths, Science, Citizenship, PE, Life Skills (including Religious Studies)
• Options subjects are designed to be two year courses in year 9 and 1 year courses in year 11.
• Range of vocational courses on offer.
• All students are entered for English, Maths and Science GCSEs at the end of Year 11.
• Options in science include separate, Environmental Land Based Studies (ELBS) and vocational science courses.
• Opportunities for students to have extra ‘booster’ time for Science, English and/or Maths.
Opportunities for students to attend after school enrichments to support achievement in core and option subjects
• Students are able to begin level 3 courses where appropriate in Year 11.
• A broad range of level 3 courses allow progression from KS4.
• A range of vocational courses are available.
• Level 2 courses accessible to Year 12/13 students in vertical teaching groups.
For further details please contact:
Mr G Dzoboku